(a) General. The Veterans First Contracting Program in subpart 819.70 applies to VA contracts (see FAR 2.101, Definitions) under this part and has precedence over other small business programs referenced in FAR part 19.
(b) Notwithstanding FAR 13.003(b)(2), the contracting officer shall make an award utilizing the priorities for veteran-owned small businesses as implemented within the VA hierarchy of small business program preferences, the Veterans First Contracting Program in subpart 819.70. Specifically, the contracting officer shall consider preferences for verified service-disabled veteran-owned small businesses (SDVOSBs) first, then preferences for verified veteran-owned small businesses (VOSBs). These priorities will be followed by preferences for other small businesses in accordance with FAR 19.203, 819.203-70 and 819.7004.
(c) When using competitive procedures, the preference for restricting competition to verified SDVOSBs or VOSBs is mandatory whenever market research provides a reasonable expectation of receiving two or more offers/quotes from eligible, capable and verified SDVOSBs or VOSBs at fair and reasonable prices that offer best value to the Government.
(1) Pursuant to 38 U.S.C. 8127, contracts under this part shall be set-aside for SDVOSBs or VOSBs, when supported by market research. Contracting officers shall use the applicable set-aside clause prescribed at 819.7009.
(2) Pursuant to 38 U.S.C. 8128 and to the extent that market research does not support an SDVOSB or VOSB set-aside, the contracting officer shall include evaluation factors as prescribed at 815.304 and the evaluation criteria clause prescribed at 815.304-71(a).
(d) The SDVOSB and VOSB eligibility requirements in part 819.7003 apply, including verification of the SDVOSB and VOSB status of an offeror or awardee at the time of submission of offer/quote and prior to award. The offeror must also represent that it meets the small business size standard for the assigned North American Industry Classification Code System (NAICS) code and other small business requirements in FAR part 19 (e.g. subcontracting limitations and non-manufacturer rule).
VAAR 813 813.102 Source list.
(a) Pursuant to 819.7002, contracting officers shall use the Vendor Information Pages (VIP) database to verify SDVOSB/VOSB status. 813.106-70 Soliciting competition, evaluation of quotations or offers, award and documentation – the Veterans First Contracting Program. (a) General. When using competitive procedures under this part, the contracting officer shall use the Veterans First Contracting Program in subpart 819.70 and the guidance set forth in 813.003-70.
(b) Pursuant to 38 U.S.C 8127(b), contracting officers may use other than competitive procedures to enter into a contract with a verified SDVOSB or VOSB for procurements under the simplified acquisition threshold. (c) Under 38 U.S.C. 8127(
c), contracting officers may also award a contract under this part to a firm verified under the Veterans First Contracting Program at subpart 819.70, using procedures other than competitive procedures if—
(1) Such concern is determined to be a responsible source with respect to performance of such contract opportunity;
(2) The anticipated award price of the contract (including options) will exceed the simplified acquisition threshold, but will not exceed $5,000,000; and
(3) In the estimation of the contracting officer, the contract award can be made at a fair and reasonable price that offers overall best value to the government.
813.203 Purchase guidelines. (a)(1) Open market micro-purchases shall be equitably distributed among all verified SDVOSBs or VOSBs to the maximum extent practicable in keeping with the flexibilities inherent in purchases under the micro-purchase threshold.